Visit Pool Town’s Swimming Pool Supply Store Located in Howell, NJ
With 25+ years experience in swimming pool construction, we here at Pool Town are the number one place for all your swimming pool supply needs. Our Retail Store offers all the swimming pool supplies you will need with a wide variety of water toys, games, floats, goggles, maintenance equipment, and more, along with a fully stocked parts department featuring Hayward parts for your pool filters. We carry a complete inventory of quality chemicals for chlorinated pools, salt system pools as well as mineral pool systems, all at great prices!!
We strive to provide value, quality and service to all our customers, whether you purchased your pool from Pool Town or not and whether you are located in Monmouth County or not. We have grown as a company and now service all New Jersey pools. Please stop in to our supply store. We are open 7 days per week and our friendly and knowledgeable staff is always willing to assist you.
REQUEST A FREE QUOTE FROM POOL TOWN
At Pool Town, we would like to help you get your pool season off to a great start, so here are a few tips.
Daily Pool Operation
- Your pool filter should run at least 8 to 10 hours per day. Set your pool timer, or remember to run the pool manually if you don’t have a timer. It is best to have your pool running during the daylight hours (instead of night).
- Make sure your skimmer baskets are empty and clear of leaves or other debris.
- Chlorine must be added to the pool daily in one of the following ways:
- Use a Chlorine Floater with Slow Dissolving Chlorine Tabs inside it. Keep the floater in the pool at all times and refill it weekly or as needed.
- Use an Automatic Chlorinator. Make sure the unit is full and that the dial is set to a level that gives you a good daily chlorine reading depending on how long you run your system.
- Or, you can place 3 inch Slow Dissolving Stabilized Chlorine Tablets in the skimmers once per week (4-6 tablets are normal for a 16×32 pool).
Weekly Pool Maintenance
- Completely backwash your filter. (Use your filter manual or ask a Pool Town expert for proper procedure)
- Test water for Chlorine, pH
- Adjust pH and Alkalinity if necessary.
- Add Chlorine to your pool as needed.
- Vacuum pool floor and walls if needed.
- Shock pool and add Algaecide if needed.
- Check and adjust water level as needed.
Waterlevel should be half wayup the skimmers.
- If you have any questions or want someone to take a look at your pool, don’t hesitate to call. Pool Town can help you open and close your pool, as well as help to answer any questions you may have about your pool or pool supplies you are using throughout the season.
Basic Water Chemistry Terms
- CHLORINE – This is acting as the main sanitizer to kill algae and bacteria in the pool water. The level should be between 2.0 and 3.0 on your test kit. During hot weather, high readings are better.
- pH – This is the level of how acidic the pool water is. You must maintain a good pH level or your chlorine will not work effectively. The level should be between 7.2 and 7.6.
- ALKALINITY – This is a pH stabilizer. It helps to keep the pH within the proper levels so that the chlorine can work effectively. It reduces pH “bounce”. The level should be between 100 and 150.
- STABILIZER – Also known as Cyanuric Acid, this chemical forms a protective bond around the chlorine, making it more resistant to be burned off by the sun. This makes chlorine tablets last longer. Stabilizer levels should be checked and adjusted each season. Also, pools should be stabilized whenever a large amount of fresh water has been added to the pool. The level should be 35 ppm and is adjusted by adding Stabilizer Increaser.
REMEMBER – Good water chemistry can only be achieved when all four of these chemical levels are kept consistent. Good Alkalinity helps keep the pH in the right range so that the chlorine can do its job properly. Stabilizer keeps more of the chlorine in the water instead of being wasted.
The easiest and most accurate way to be sure your water chemistry is
Have a wonderful swimming pool season!!!